About Cave Rock Estates
Cave Rock is on the eastern shore of Lake Tahoe, between Zephyr Cove and Glenbrook, and is one of the most recognized landmarks at Lake Tahoe. It was formed about 5 million years ago as a volcanic vent. The name comes from the small caves on the west side, which were cut by waves when the lake was 140 feet higher during the ice ages. Today, US Highway 50 passes through Cave Rock via two tunnels, constructed in 1931 and 1957. The site is considered to be a holy spot for the native Washoe Indians who put their deceased to rest in the cold waters below the outcropping. This land is currently under the protection of the US Forest Service. Adjacent to this land, to the south, is Cave Rock Estates.
In the early 1960's a group of developers subdivided their land into approximately 110 properties, ranging in size from about 1/3 acre to just over a full acre. Being adjacent to the historic Cave Rock, they named their development Cave Rock Estates. Although a number of the parcels have been acquired by public entities, including the US Forest Service, the State of Nevada, and Douglas County, about eighty properties remain in private ownership.
About the General Improvement District
In Nevada, it is common practice that the maintenance of public facilities (roads, sewers, etc) within private developments be the responsibility of the property owners within the development. Under the authority of Nevada Revised Statutes (N.R.S.) 318, a county may establish a General Improvement District (GID) for this purpose. There are about fifteen different GID's in Douglas County. On October 6, 1975, the Board of Supervisors of Douglas County adopted Ordinance No. CR-2, creating the Cave Rock Estates General Improvement District (CREGID). The District is charged with the responsibility to improve and maintain the roads, curbs gutter, sidewalks, storm drains, water system, and street lighting within the Cave Rock Estates development. The District is governed by an elected five member board, which meets as needed (at least twice a year) to conduct the business of the District.